Indigoblu run a monthly challenge on their blog and their theme for this month is monochrome. I really fancied creating something quite atmospheric and thought I would work with a black and white palette.
The stamp is Poppy Meadow from Indigoblu (of course!)… kindly lent to me by Sarah (thanks Sarah!)
Those of you who have seen me craft, know that I’m an ‘as it comes’ crafter. Very VERY rarely do I take more than one attempt to create a project because I’m a big believer of working with what happens. BUT…. this one took me three attempts! I knew what I wanted to achieve and that required it to be quite crisp and clean with white spaces… and I’m a mucky crafter!
So … attempt one was ditched because I didn’t realise I had something under my cardstock so the middle of the 2nd poppy I stamped didn’t come out at all…
Attempt two… was going really well…. used my first ditched attempt to practice the colouring of the poppies… yep… all good, then I realised my hand leaning on the card had transferred ink onto the white background… mmmm not happy.. but still – was going with it – just a little character! So finally stamp the greeting… upside down… yes.. great! Ok onto number three!
So how did I create it? I started by stamping the greeting in Archival Black (wasn’t going to risk that one twice!) I’ve then stamped all the poppies in Black Soot Distress Ink. I then took a paint brush and very carefully (and leaning on a clean sheet of card!)… I painted in the poppies.
A few hints and tips here…
1. Keep a cloth handy and keep washing the colour out of your brush and then taking off the excess water onto the cloth so you can keep the shading light and controlled
2. If it goes too dark, blot it with your cloth to lift off some of the colour
3. Don’t use a waterbrush – I tried that with attempt 2… it was a lot harder to control the depth of colour
4. If it goes really dark, just apply more water and reblot
Once coloured in and thoroughly dry, I added lots of white gel pen accents tracing around the edges of the petals and dotting on the stamens. The final touch was to add shading and a border around the outside with the black soot pad and cut n dry foam
I don’t know that the photos do this piece justice, I really love the shading on it and managed to achieve what I set out to achieve on attempt number three!
I am entering this for the Indigoblu Monochrome Challenge.
Click here to shop for Indigoblu stamps
Click here to shop for Distress Inks